--- title: "Exxon LNG decision on ice as Mozambique faces TotalEnergies request, source says" description: "Exxon Mobil's $30 billion Rovuma LNG project in Mozambique is on hold pending TotalEnergies' resumption of its nearby $20 billion LNG project, which has faced delays due to rising costs and a request " type: "news" locale: "en" url: "https://longbridge.com/en/news/263582377.md" published_at: "2025-10-30T17:17:37.000Z" --- # Exxon LNG decision on ice as Mozambique faces TotalEnergies request, source says > Exxon Mobil's $30 billion Rovuma LNG project in Mozambique is on hold pending TotalEnergies' resumption of its nearby $20 billion LNG project, which has faced delays due to rising costs and a request for a 10-year extension from the Mozambique government. TotalEnergies recently lifted a four-year force majeure but is negotiating with the government over cost increases. Exxon aims for a final investment decision by early 2026, with first cargo expected by 2030, as Mozambique seeks to enhance its LNG export capabilities amid ongoing challenges. Exxon and Total’s LNG projects in Mozambique share onshore facilities Mozambique government has not given date when it will approve Total’s project terms request Exxon has said it sees final investment decision on project in early 2026 By Sheila Dang HOUSTON, Oct 30 (Reuters) - Exxon Mobil (XOM.N) is unable to make a final investment decision on a $30 billion liquefied natural gas project in Mozambique called Rovuma LNG until TotalEnergies (TTEF.PA) resumes work on a related project nearby, according to a source familiar with the matter. Exxon is affected by TotalEnergies’ project because they include shared facilities. The French firm confirmed on Saturday that it had lifted a four-year force majeure on its $20 billion Mozambique LNG project. ### MOZAMBIQUE, TOTALENERGIES DISCUSSING RESTART OF PROJECT In a letter to the Mozambique government, TotalEnergies said its costs had risen by $4.5 billion and requested that the country grant an extension of the development and production period by 10 years. Mozambique is pushing back against that request, deeming the $4.5 billion amount too high, a source close to the government told Reuters. Spokespeople for the government did not respond to a request for comment. TotalEnergies’ CEO told investors on Thursday that its letter to the government had been misinterpreted, that the company will be able to quickly restart the project, and that the $4.5 billion cost increase is included in its $20.5 billion budget. Mozambique’s President Daniel Chapo visited the U.S. this week and held talks at Exxon’s headquarters in Spring, Texas on Wednesday, but a scheduled press conference was cancelled. In a press statement on Wednesday, he announced that the country had signed two memorandums of understanding with Exxon to evaluate domestic gas projects and build a training center to develop the Mozambican workforce. TotalEnergies did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but pointed to September 29 comments from CEO Patrick Pouyanne in which he said Total coordinated closely with Exxon and both firms believed operations could restart quickly. ### EXXON HOPES TO MAKE ROVUMA LNG DECISION EARLY IN 2026 Exxon has said it hopes to take a final investment decision on Rovuma LNG in early 2026, with a first cargo by 2030. Work on Mozambique LNG in the Area 1 offshore block has been halted for four years following an Islamist-linked insurgent attack. The ongoing delays have highlighted the challenges Mozambique still faces to become a major LNG exporter and develop its economy. Exxon and Italian energy firm Eni (ENI.MI) each hold 25% stakes in the southern African country’s Area 4 offshore block, which is estimated to hold more than 85 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. Exxon is leading the construction and operation of the Rovuma LNG onshore liquefaction facilities, while Eni is leading the floating production units in the deepwater block dubbed Coral North and South. Completion of the Eni, Exxon and TotalEnergies projects could make Mozambique a top 10 global gas producer by 2040, consulting company Deloitte said in a report last year. ### Related Stocks - [TTE.US - TotalEnergies SE](https://longbridge.com/en/quote/TTE.US.md) - [XOM.US - Exxon Mobil](https://longbridge.com/en/quote/XOM.US.md) ## Related News & Research | Title | Description | URL | |-------|-------------|-----| | TotalEnergies 削减股票回购,提升储蓄目标,因为较低的价格影响了利润 -- 更新 | 道达尔能源宣布将股票回购减少至每季度 7.5 亿美元,并计划到 2030 年实现 125 亿美元的节省,此前第四季度净利润下降 21%,降至 29.1 亿美元。该公司计划到 2026 年将总能源产量提高 5%,其中石油和天然气产量增长 3% | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/275586456.md) | | 星展银行维持对 TotalEnergies SE(TTE)的持有评级 | DBS 分析师 Suvro Sarkar 对 TotalEnergies SE (TTE) 维持了持有评级,目标价为 61.00 欧元。更广泛的分析师共识建议给予适度买入评级,平均目标价为 62.34 欧元。专注于能源领域的 Sarkar, | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/275733179.md) | | PBF 能源|8-K:2025 财年 Q4 营收 71.4 亿美元超过预期 | | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/275749250.md) | | ATMOS 能源量能放大,主升浪能否上演? | ATMOS 能源(ATO.US)逆市走强,连续收高并突破短线高点,天然气与公用事业板块成资金避险新宠,日线量能温和放大引发主力动能异动。近期极端天气与分红预期齐发力,防御型资金主动抢筹,蓝筹风格优势逐步放大。社群情绪明显提振,讨论焦点集中在 | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/274207874.md) | | WEC 能源的股票:华尔街是持看涨态度还是看跌态度? | WEC 能源股票:华尔街是看涨还是看跌? | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/275615803.md) | --- > **Disclaimer**: This article is for reference only and does not constitute any investment advice.