--- title: "Hong Kong to spend HK$6.8 billion buying back fire-ravaged Tai Po flats" description: "Hong Kong will spend HK$6.8 billion (US$870 million) to buy back homes damaged in the Tai Po fire, offering HK$8,000 to HK$10,500 per square foot. Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong announced the" type: "news" locale: "en" url: "https://longbridge.com/en/news/276509915.md" published_at: "2026-02-21T10:06:09.000Z" --- # Hong Kong to spend HK$6.8 billion buying back fire-ravaged Tai Po flats > Hong Kong will spend HK$6.8 billion (US$870 million) to buy back homes damaged in the Tai Po fire, offering HK$8,000 to HK$10,500 per square foot. Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong announced the plan, which includes demolishing seven of the eight buildings at Wang Fuk Court and redeveloping the site. The buyout aims to provide a quick solution for affected residents, with 74% of surveyed homeowners considering the government's acquisition offer. The plan follows the city's deadliest fire, which killed 168 people last November. Hong Kong authorities will spend about HK$6.8 billion (US$870 million) to buy back homes damaged in the deadly Tai Po fire from flat owners, offering HK$8,000 to HK$10,500 per square foot as part of a long-term resettlement plan involving HK$4 billion in public funds. Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun unveiled the plan on Saturday, ruling out on-site redevelopment of Wang Fuk Court and adding that authorities were inclined to demolish seven of the estate’s eight buildings and redevelop the site as parks or other social facilities. Wong said the cash buyout and “flat-for-flat” exchanges would provide the fastest and most flexible solution, while authorities would handle post-acquisition matters at Wang Fuk Court, including legal and insurance issues. “The Wang Fuk Court fire is a special case of an exceptional nature. This one-off arrangement will not serve as a precedent,” he said. “We believe the acquisition price is sufficient for the affected households to relocate and secure long-term housing.” Wong added that the Wang Fuk Court fire was unprecedented, noting that displaced residents had suffered significant losses and faced immense challenges in their daily lives, warranting understanding and support from society. He also stressed the need to buy back the flats, saying no effective market mechanism could address the challenges or help the affected households. “Without strong government intervention, flat owners would find it extremely difficult to secure buyers for their homes, and the money they invested over the years could go up in smoke,” the deputy financial secretary said. Wong also noted that the acquisition was estimated to cost HK$6.8 billion, with the government needing to draw HK$4 billion from the public coffers after deducting a donation from the fire relief fund. The rehousing proposal came three months after the city’s deadliest fire in decades, which claimed 168 lives at the Wang Fuk Court residential complex last November. In a previous survey sent to affected residents, authorities had put the buy-back prices at between HK$6,000 and HK$8,000 per square foot, with the range based on pre-fire valuations by the Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors. Authorities launched the survey last month to gather opinions from displaced residents on nine long-term resettlement options, including on-site redevelopment, flat-for-flat exchanges and cash buyouts. Wong noted that 74 per cent of respondents had said they would consider accepting the government’s title acquisition, with 12 per cent ruling out the option and 14 per cent remaining undecided. The survey found that 22 per cent of households supported in-situ redevelopment but were open to other options. Meanwhile, 9 per cent of flat owners said they would only accept on-site redevelopment. The survey collected responses from 1,975 households, representing more than 99 per cent of all flat owners. Hundreds of Wang Fuk Court households were earlier reported to have signed a petition urging authorities to shorten the time for on-site redevelopment and allow residents to vote on the next step. Wang Chi House, the only one of Wang Fuk Court’s eight residential blocks left unscathed by the fire, will not be included in the acquisition plan. But Wong said the government would be willing to consider acquiring the flats in Wang Chi House as well if owners there could reach a “high degree of consensus”. ## Related News & Research | Title | Description | URL | |-------|-------------|-----| | Puravankara 在班加羅爾電子城推出了高端住宅開發項目 | Puravankara 有限公司:在班加羅爾電子城推出高端住宅開發項目 | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/276317160.md) | | Armour 住宅房地產|8-K:2025 財年 Q4 營收 2.26 億美元 | | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/276273089.md) | | 警方正在尋找非法闖入上湯申一户人家的嫌疑人 | 新加坡警方正在尋找一名嫌疑人,該嫌疑人於 2 月 21 日晚間闖入了上湯申的一處住宅。他們在晚上 9:40 左右接到了一通關於瑪麗戈德大道一處住所的求助電話。警方到達後確認,有人未經允許進入該處房屋,並在他們到達之前離開。目前調查仍在進行中 | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/276526517.md) | | ZAWYA-PRESSR:Omoria 在朱美拉棕櫚島開設了其首個私人住宅 | Omoria 私人住宅在棕櫚島開設了首個地點 Omoria Palme Couture,這標誌着該品牌的重要里程碑。該住宅強調建築的清晰性和高標準的生活,受到日本款待和意大利設計的影響。創始人 Omar BinSulaiman 博士和 Ka | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/276122323.md) | | 獨家報道 \| 一位蒙古買家以 3150 萬美元購入香港住宅,計劃用於退休 | 一家蒙古礦業家庭的 Tisara Holdings 在香港南區購買了一處價值 2.47 億港元(3150 萬美元)的住宅作為退休住所。根據董事 Tselmuun Nyamtaishir 的説法,該交易於 1 月 29 日簽署,涉及 One | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/276295716.md) | --- > **Disclaimer**: This article is for reference only and does not constitute any investment advice.