--- title: "11-Year-Old Boy, Who Allegedly Murdered His Dad Because He Took Away His Nintendo Switch, Makes First Court Appearance" description: "An 11-year-old boy, Clayton Dietz, appeared in court for the first time after allegedly shooting his father, Douglas Dietz, over a Nintendo Switch dispute. His lawyer aims to transfer the case to juve" type: "news" locale: "en" url: "https://longbridge.com/en/news/276519274.md" published_at: "2026-02-21T18:44:20.000Z" --- # 11-Year-Old Boy, Who Allegedly Murdered His Dad Because He Took Away His Nintendo Switch, Makes First Court Appearance > An 11-year-old boy, Clayton Dietz, appeared in court for the first time after allegedly shooting his father, Douglas Dietz, over a Nintendo Switch dispute. His lawyer aims to transfer the case to juvenile court, as Clayton is currently being tried as an adult. The incident occurred on January 13, Clayton's birthday, when he found a gun in a safe after being told to go to bed. Following the shooting, he reportedly expressed that he was "mad" and hadn't thought about the consequences. A next court date is anticipated in May. ### NEED TO KNOW - The 11-year-old boy, who is accused of shooting and killing his father after he took away his Nintendo Switch, appeared in court for the first time - Clayton Dietz appeared before a judge on Thursday, Feb. 19, as he waived his right to a preliminary hearing - The preteen's lawyer told local outlets he had no comment on the case, but his “goal” is to get his client “into juvenile court" The 11-year-old boy, who is accused of shooting and killing his father after he took away his Nintendo Switch, appeared in court for the first time. Clayton Dietz appeared before a judge on Thursday, Feb. 19, as he waived his right to a preliminary hearing, according to Fox News and local outlets CBS 21 News and WGAL 8. Clayton, who was previously denied bail on Jan. 13, was handcuffed as he was led in and out of the courtroom by officers. After the hearing, the preteen's lawyer, Dave Wilson, told the local outlets he had no comment on the case, but his “goal” is to get his client “into juvenile court.” Clayton is currently being tried as an adult. Clayton was charged with homicide after shooting his father, Douglas Dietz, in the early morning hours on Jan. 13. The day marked Clayton's 11th birthday. According to court documents reviewed by PEOPLE, the 11-year-old got mad at his adoptive father when his Nintendo Switch was taken away and he was told to go to bed. Clayton later found a key to a safe in his father’s drawer and unlocked it in hopes of finding the video game console, and he stumbled across a gun. He then allegedly fired at his dad, per an affidavit obtained by WGAL 8. When police asked the 11-year-old what he thought was going to happen when he pulled the trigger, Clayton said, per the affidavit obtained by the outlet, that he "was mad" and he "had not thought about that." Douglas' wife, Jillian Dietz, told police that she and her husband sang happy birthday to their son just before they all went to bed, and she later woke up to the loud noise of the gunshot, according to ABC 27 News. **Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE's free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.** She told police she spotted Clayton in a closet, where he allegedly said, “He’s dead,” before running downstairs, yelling, “My dad’s dead,” the outlet reported. Officials said Douglas and Jillian adopted Clayton in 2018, per WGAL 8. A next court date has not yet been scheduled for Clayton. His lawyer told WGAL 8 that he anticipates they will be back in court in May. Read the original article on People ### Related Stocks - [GAMR.US - Wedbush ETFMG Video Game Tech ETF](https://longbridge.com/en/quote/GAMR.US.md) - [ESPO.US - VanEck Video Gaming and eSport ETF](https://longbridge.com/en/quote/ESPO.US.md) - [7974.JP - Nintendo](https://longbridge.com/en/quote/7974.JP.md) - [NTDOY.US - Nintendo](https://longbridge.com/en/quote/NTDOY.US.md) - [HERO.US - Global X Video Games & Esports ETF](https://longbridge.com/en/quote/HERO.US.md) ## Related News & Research | Title | Description | URL | |-------|-------------|-----| | Abxylute’s new Switch 2 controller prototype has one big problem | Abxylute has launched a Kickstarter for its N6 and N9C Switch 2 dock-style controllers, designed as alternatives to Nint | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/276342750.md) | | Nintendo’s next big Pokémon presentation is on February 27th | Nintendo has announced that the next Pokémon Presents stream will take place on February 27th at 9AM ET, coinciding with | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/276453653.md) | | Xenoblade Chronicles X is $20 off in time for its Switch 2 upgrade | Nintendo has launched a Switch 2 upgrade for Xenoblade Chronicles X: Definitive Edition, priced at $4.99 for existing ow | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/276352751.md) | | Varsav Game Studios Qualifies For 0.1 Mln Zlotys For Game Localization | Varsav Game Studios SA :QUALIFIES FOR PLN 118,795 FOR GAME LOCALIZATIONFUNDING FOR LOCALIZING BARKOUR GAME INTO EIGHT LA | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/276046402.md) | | Man arrested over e-commerce scams involving Pokemon trading cards; over $135k lost | A 25-year-old man was arrested in Singapore on February 5 for his involvement in e-commerce scams related to Pokemon tra | [Link](https://longbridge.com/en/news/275135469.md) | --- > **Disclaimer**: This article is for reference only and does not constitute any investment advice.